Monday, April 13, 2009

Road Trip Unblogged

On Saturday night Kelly and I returned from a 9-day road trip from Seattle down to northern California and back, driving 1800 miles (at an average of 39 mpg!) and exploring many miles of trails when we weren't in the car.

It seems ironic that even though I brought a laptop on this trip, but not on my trip to New Zealand, I didn't write a single blog post on the road trip... but posted nearly every day in NZ.

The chief reason is quite simple, I think; when traveling solo, it's much easier to make time to write.  And sometimes when traveling solo there simply isn't anything else to do at all!  (I remember this being the case when camping in a small campground without another soul in sight.)  

It's somewhat unfortunate that in our society it's uncommon to write on a regular basis.  For example, if you were out with friends on a Friday night and one of them told you that head home to do some writing before he got too tired, you would think it odd.  Or you would think it odder still if he pulled out a journal and started writing in the bar/movie theater/living room where you were both sitting.

It's not that we don't value writing.  How many times have you heard someone say, "I wish I had written that down" or "I wish I had kept a journal"?  It seems that this is yet another case of our society's priorities being out of line with its habits, like the disconnect between our ideal and actual diets and exercise regimens.

But no excuses now for not writing... I'm home alone tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment