Thursday, November 5, 2009

More adventures in Geotagging

I was trying to figure out why my EXIF-tag reading feature of my little Flickr2KML app was broken and searching on the flickr API forum for an answer and discovered that flickr has a feature I wasn't aware of:

If you have EXIF geodata associated with a photo that you upload to flickr, it can use that geodata, but only if you actively opt-in to the "Import EXIF location data" feature.

I never knew that this option existed until now! For better or worse, if you opt into this feature after you've already added many EXIF-geotagged photos to flickr, flickr will not import the location data for those existing photos; it only does this for subsequent uploads. In this case, Flickr2KML's EXIF-to-flickr-geotag feature might be useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment