Friday, June 26, 2009

One chapter ends, another begins

For me, cycle touring is always in tension between two opposing forces: the desire to go far and the desire to stop and explore. That desire to go far propelled me rather quickly across France and Italy, which allowed the desire to see more do two days of hiking in the Dolomites. While riding across Italy I realized that I would have time to ride into Austria and thus enjoy the thrill of crossing yet another border on two wheels.

Yesterday that vision became a reality... and thus concludes my self-ropelled jorney through Europe.

Over the last week or two I had really been looking forward to this moment. Every time my butt ached (which lately has been happening after just an hour after riding or any time I sit on a hard chair) and on every busy road and after tallying each day´s progress, Austria grew nearer. The days ticked by and my deadline to meet my mother in Prague approached.

But now that I´m in the beautiful Tyrolean town of Lienz (home to myriad sporting activities both in summer and winter), the sun is shining, everyone´s on a bike, adn I´m a little sad to be getting on a train today.

Over the last several days, mostly cloudy, my cyclist tan-lines (on my legs, wrists, and fingers) have already started to fade, and, sadly, I suppose that my fitness will fade as well over the weeks to come. When strangers ask me where I've biked from, I'll no longer be able to say "I biked here from Spain". I´ll no longer get the rock-star parking at the tourist attractions I happen upon on way from here to there or sing to the cows as I roll down quiet country roads. Nor will I have my now-regular daily routine of a cycle tourist.

My remaining 3 weeks here in Europe are mostly booked now, with rail journeys and car trips and sightseeing and visits to friends. I´ve been looking forward to this section of the trip and I know it will be great in its own way, but the last 4 weeks have been something special that I´ll never forget. I´ve met some great people who I hope to stay in touch with... and I´m already thinking about future bike trips that I´d like to do.

Thank you, Europe, for a great bike trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment