Saturday, June 13, 2009

Score another one for the Excel bike kit!

Today I put on my clean jersey and shorts (i.e. the ones that I didn't wear yesterday) and headed up to the Col du Galibier to watch the Dauphine Libere (again).

Imagine my surprise when a guy - in Byrne Specialty Gasses vest (a team that I used to race with) - called out "An Excel jersey! Are you from Seattle?"

Yup, I just made a new friend Lee - from Seattle - in the French Alps. It turns out that he knows people that I know, such as Tom Wick and Glenn Bunselmeyer. Yes, it's a small world.

Kind of like when I met a couple (Meredith and John Whipple) in Vielha, Spain. They had been bike touring in Portugal, France, and Spain, and live in Chicago. It turns out that they lived in Seattle for a few years, and when I mentioned that I worked at Microsoft for 8 years, they asked if I knew a guy named Ermano.

Yes, yes I do. The cycling community in Seattle is just that small, I suppose.

1 comment:

  1. traveling without deadline is all about serendipidity + your ability to build on it. Good goin'. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete