Friday, May 22, 2009

Getting ready to leave Granada

Yesterday I finished up my last day of Spanish classes in Granada and tomorrow I'm off to try my luck on the roads of Spain with my trusty companion the bike. Will it be hard to find reasonable places to stay? Places to eat? Will the weather cooperate? Will my bike? Will the hills kill me? The heat? How far will I be able to ride each day? Will I meet any interesting people along the way? Will my Spanish improve or fade away during the rest of my time in Spain? Will I be homesick? (Well, I am a bit already...)

These and other questions are only possible to answer after a couple of days on the road. I do know that the weather forecast looks good and that my experience with cycling in Spain has been fine so far. The only dog that has chased me was a tiny terrier, which only made me laugh (although I was a little concerned that I would run him over). I am definitely curious to see what the outlying towns are like. I'm planning on avoiding any cities of significant size until Albacete, at least... though my plans are always subject to change. In a week or two I hope to be in the Pyrenees, even if that means taking a bus part of the way to get up there in reasonable time. And then I'll be able to pop over the border and explore France!

I don't expect to have much internet access in the next week or two, so don't expect many, if any posts, between now and then!

No comments:

Post a Comment