Sunday, March 1, 2009

It's all about weight

Like any good weight weenie, I weighed every item that I was planning on carrying with me on the trip. I would have pasted my spreadsheet here, but the formatting was completely horked. So instead, you can see it here.

I could have opted to travel much lighter on this trip, but opted to bring camping gear (tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, stove which amounts to about 8 pounds). If I end up regretting this (as I did during my UK trip), I can always ship it home (expensive though that may be). I'm thinking that the extra freedom this will afford me will be worth it. Since there are huts along the treks that I plan on doing, camping gear isn't strictly necessary to do a lot of stuff. However, I am planning on taking advantage of New Zealand's "camp anywhere for free, except in National Parks" policy. That sounds pretty cool to me.

One funny thing about the weight spreadsheet is that it makes you realize just how heavy water is. The two water bottles together are heavier than my tent!

Another 2-pound weight that isn't strictly necessary is the SLR camera. I am reasoning, however, that the extra weight will force me to ride slower... which will motivate me to take more pictures... which is a good thing.

Long story short, this is a significantly larger load than I've ever carried before. It will certainly be an exercise in patience for Susan to bike so slowly!

Well, I take off for the airport in a few short minutes, so this will be my last post from home!

1 comment:

  1. Are you really only bringing 1 pair of underwear?!?! Oh boy, I imagine my washing machine is really in for a treat when you get here :)

    ReplyDelete