Sunday, March 8, 2009

West Coast geology tour, or exploring caves by the light of an iPhone

I have 5 minutes to write this... :)

Today I headed south from Westport until I reached Rorapura National Park (sp?). The coast is beautiful - like the Oregon coast, but a bit more tropical (what with fern trees and whatnot).

I took a 3-hour hike along a river to "the ballroom", some cool caves. I expected it to be one large cavern, otherwise I would have brought my headlamp with me. So I walked into the depths with my iPhone lighting the way. Stalactites and stalagmites were most cool, and not stuck behind some fence.

A few km down the road I got to see the Pancake Rocks formations, right along the coast. Unfortunately they didn't serve pancakes there :(, but the rock (limestone) formations were quite cool indeed!

Tonight I'm staying in backpackers accommodations in Greymouth to dry out and get some good sleep before heading to Arthurs Pass for some hiking (woohoo!). Unfortunately I've stayed up later than I should talking to some other bike tourists!

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment