Monday, March 16, 2009

Racing from one trek to the next

Last night I did some research online and I think I've figured out a
way to start the Routeburn Track (a Great Walk) this afternoon (a 2-
night, three day trip), then meet up with a kayak guiding company for
a day of kayaking on Friday). I had originally booked the Routeburn
starting on Thursday (today is Tuesday), but I was doing some planning
last night and realized that there is still lots that I'd like to see
and do here in NZ before I leave. For example, I'd love to check out
the east side of Arthur's Pass after I reach Christchurch.

So right now I'm on a bus to Queenstown (a 2-hour ride from Wanaka)!
Soon to be followed by a shuttle to the routeburn track, another 2-
hour ride. With luck I should get to my first hut just in time for
dinner!

For the last 2 days I've been hiking near Mt. Aspiring. I got up to
the French Ridge Hut around 4:30 in the afternoon on Sunday and then
headed up the ridge to check out the views before dinner - stellar
views of glaciers. The hike to the hut itself was interesting and
varied - through fields along a river for a couple of hours, then
through forests near the river, and them straight up through the trees
(root belays aplenty!) to the treeline.

The 5 of us had a great time at the hut that night (it's designed to
hold 22 people) - Nigel the pilot from the UK, Jonas the student from
Switzerland, Randall the hut warden from Sunapee, NH (he also lived in
Leavenworth, WA), and his new South African-turned-Kiwi wife Amanda.

Yesterday Jonas, Nigel, and I all had arranged to catch the shuttle
back to town (unfortunately the latest was at 3:30) so we were on a
mission to get down to the car park in time. We made it with time to
spare and Jonas and I even jumped in the Matukituki River on the way
back (Nigel couldn't be bothered to take his boots off).

I can't wait to share photos, but I've been short on time and/or
conputer in the last few days! The weather has been great the last
several days, but it sounds like we're going to have a change in that
in a couple of days, so perhaps I'll spend a rainy day in an Internet
cafe. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Susan! I've been hearing so much about your blog from your mom, G&G and Mindy! Finally, this evening I was able to catch up. So fantastic! I especially enjoy the photos of the different plants and flowers. Stay safe. I'll talk to you next week when you're at Mindy and Jay's. Love you, Aunt Judi

    ReplyDelete