Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Landed safely in Christchurch

I have to admit - I was a bit overwhelmed when I arrived in Christchurch. Cars, cars, and more cars... and busses... I got off my bike and was wandering around looking for an information center or other clue as to where I might find a hostel when a man on his bike asked if I was an American.

It turns out I had inadvertantly run into an ex-pro American cyclist who recognized my Excel Sports cycling shorts. He said that he might be able to offer me a place to stay, but that it was complicated because he and his wife had two new puppies in the house and had just had a guest from Mexico...
Long story short, for the time being at least I'm staying in their little "garattage" (as Kelly would call it) with a real futon bed! Compared to camping or hostel dorms, this is luxury!
I bought some groceries for dinner and we enjoyed steak and corn from the barbecue and ice cream for dessert while Didi and I each had a puppy in our laps (OK, that wasn't until after we finished eating).
John's going to point out some cycling routes for me - unfortunately he has to head to the north island for work for the next couple of days. John and Didi have been in NZ for a few years, and John is now working and studying in the field of traffic engineering and planning.
But long story short, I'm in a very happy place and will soon be sound asleep!

2 comments:

  1. John has a paid job?!! that is good news...traffic engineering?? Does it include getting rid of cars and increasing safe use bike paths)of bikes? Just viewed "Tentrillion and Counting" on pbs.org online....hope you can see it. Glad you are comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to even more pictures!

    ReplyDelete