Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The leaves are starting to fall...

... Along with acorns, chestnuts, and things of that ilk. It seems an
appropriate season to leave a county, but that doesn't mean I'm not
sad to go. I've gotten to know Christchurch a bit in the last two days
and will miss its bike lanes, architecture, stellar museums (don't
miss the Canterbury Museum if you visit), great sunsets, parks, and
people.

Yesterday's "long bays" bike ride was fantastic, as was my stop at a
local bakery and the Rita Angus exhibit at the Art Gallery. I was
happy that donations to the museums I visited were optional but more
than happy to make the suggested $5 donation.

I found about a million outdoor stores in a 2-block area in
Christchurch, all of them with some sort of sale going on, so I took
advantage of the opportunity to make some upgrades to my wardrobe.
It's funny how you can get tired of that one pair of pants after 26
days... (and what a variety of stains can be collected).

So it's time to pack up the bike, have my last dinner here, meet up
for coffee with some bike tourists I met a couple of weeks ago, and
say goodbye to my little host family.

But I think I'll always have New Zealand on my short list of places I
want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment