Thursday, March 12, 2009

What the heck is this thing?

Last night, just as I was starting to doze off at 9 p.m., I heard some rustling... and then some very LOUD rustling... VERY CLOSE!
It sounded like something was going for my food bag, so I unzipped the door to the vestibule, and grabbed ahold of the bag. Something (pretty strong!) pulled back!

In the dark, it looked like a black cat, with a long tail, and it didn't want to leave, even after I took a swing at it with my shoe... Without taking my eyes off it, I grabbed my camera, thinking that the flash would scare it off (and that I might get a picture of it).




Sure enough, I was able to get several pictures of it, but the flash certainly didn't scare it off! I put my food in my waterproof pannier, pretty certain that whatever it was wouldn't try to check through it. It did return after some of my noise scared it off, but only stuck around for a couple of minutes...

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a Common Brushtail Possum-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Brushtail_Possum

    Love reading your blog Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuz - Jay confirms it's just a possum. Jay and I are both loving reading your blog as well! Also, unfortunately there was an oil spill during the cyclone Hamish weather and our beach is ruined.
    :( I hope it clears up before you get here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan

    I am surprised you haven't seen any possums splattered all over the road in your travels so far. There are normally dead ones everyone. My mum even hit one in the car about ten years ago somewhere between Arthurs Pass and Christchurch. They are harmless, but will bite you if you try and take food off them. Best to let it have any of your food if its already in its mouth. they have some pretty big teeth.

    They were once native to Australia, but were introduced to NZ by Europeans and are now considered vermin. they destroy the local kiwi birds habitat and steal their eggs for food. Possums and feral cats and the main two reasons for the kiwi's decline.

    looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks. hope you enjoy the rest of kiwiland.

    Jay (Mindy's boyfriend)

    PS, keep the blogs coming, I enjoy reading them each day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, they've already cleaned up the beach :) Now we just need to hope for nice weather. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete